Monday, December 30, 2013

From 2013 to 2014


Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a great holiday season. For those applying to the HPP hopefully you have finished or are close to finishing the application.

As the new year approaches, I find myself looking back at my orienteering for this year and hoping that 2014 will be much better. Since the beginning of the summer, I have barely done any orienteering. Just as I was settling into my schedule at University, a second wave of midterms prevented me from attending some of the weekly events GVOC has, and afterwards I really felt the need to focus on my studies. Luckily I did manage to attend a 3hr. Score-O at Lynn Valley, which I really enjoyed. I quite like the additional challenge of trying to maximize my points. I also liked the map, as I was able to pick areas that I felt would be better for me while I was getting used to orienteering again.



Although I'm disappointed by my lack of orienteering these past few months, I am reminded that one of the reasons I chose UBC was that I would be living in a city that had weekly orienteering events. Had I stayed in the Salmon Arm/Kamloops area, orienteering at this time of year would not be an option. Unfortunately, living in Vancouver means I don't get to ski as much, but the upside to that is my training is more orienteering specific, as I am running more.

With a new year and a new semester it is thankfully easy to focus on the positive. Now that I know what to expect from school (and have just moved a lab that would have conflicted with Wednesday events), I hope to attend more weekly orienteering events, and perhaps even the sprint camp.

Enjoy the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment